Twilight: Linkin Park is the Soundtrack of Your Spirit Journey
I have issues with this scene. What Bella is doing is terribly unhealthy for her ears, yes, but it's distressing to me that one of the most pro-active things we've seen her do so far in the novel, in terms of real-time action is action that is essentially (a) harmful and (b) intended to keep herself from thinking.
• Diversity is valuable in and of itself.
• Data demonstrating that abstience-only education does not work.
• Things we think of as universals may well not be. A reminder to programmers and system designers that cultures vary: Names Are Hard.
• Scott Lively, writer of The Pink Swastika, a book which claims that gay people were responsible for the atrocities of Nazi Germany, has been sued for persecution by The Center for Constitutional Rights on behalf of Sexual Minorities of Uganda.
• (Trigger Warning: Racism, Slavery, link to a disturbing visual). Atheist messaging can sometimes go very very wrong. And statements which need trigger warnings shouldn't go on billboards.
While I was mangling the French language, I realized I needed an Etui for basic sewing supplies so I can have them at hand and not landing on my head. (If you read the post, that last comment will make sense.) FInally, you won't believe what The Sign Said, at least the first time I saw it.
Twilight: Lying Liars Who Lie
In which Bella Swan is far, far more guilty of betrayal than anything Edmund Pevensie ever did.
In case you missed this
• We Are Not Invisible: 5 African Women Respond To The Kony 2012 Campaign.
• ‘They Feel Like We Have An Agenda’: Religion And The Invisible Children Campaign.
• #StopKony: Activism Or Exploitation?
Jessie, at RacismReview, writes about the role of whiteness in the coverage/popularity of Kony 2012 in Kony 2012: Whiteness, Social Media and Africa.
I just read an article by a woman who found herself in the position of making the difficult decision to end a wanted pregnancy in the second trimester. In Texas. She speaks of her experience. On top of the reasons we already know about why the texas forced penetration law is horrific, this article points out how little guidance the law gave for implementing its requirements, with the result that (ROT13 for more explicit triggering) fur'f sbeprq gb raqher n funzvat yrpgher qrfcvgr orvat va n pynff gung fubhyq unir orra rkrzcg.
I forced myself to read through to the end. It was not easy. The Right Not to Know
There are no words.
Georgia state rep. Terry England is proposing that abortion be banned even when the fetus is dead because women should have to carry the dead fetuses until their bodies naturally eject them "like cows and pigs do". Also, he seems to be offering a ban on cockfighting in exchange for a ban on abortion.
In Wisconsin, lawmaker Don Pridemore opposes divorce in all cases and suggests that battered women "refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place" to fall in love with their abusers all over again.
Things you can do
--Co-authored by the Slacktiverse Community
The Slacktiverse is a community blog. Content reflects the individual opinions of the contributors. We welcome disagreement in the comment threads, and invite anyone who wishes to present an alternative interpretation of a situation to write and submit a post.