Discussion in recent posts has reminded us how important it can be to have access to copies of documents central to the functioning of our own and other countries. To help each other get access to those things we are posting this article with links to some of those documents. As commenters make suggestions and post additional links those will be promoted to the original post.
The United States of America:
• Constitution of the United States
• The Federalist Papers
• The Anti-Federalist Papers
• Declaration of Independence
• The Bill of Rights (The First Ten Amendments to the Constitution)
• Constitutional Amendments Eleven to Twenty-Seven
• US Supreme Court Decisions [From The Legal Information Institute of Cornell University Law School]
• Historic Supreme Court Decisions [From The Legal Information Institute of Cornell University Law School]
• Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention
• Confederate States of America: Papers (including the Declarations of Secession and the Constitution of the Confederate States)
• The Articles of Confederation
• The Most Important Cases, Speeches, Laws & Documents in American History (NOLO: Law for all)
• Roger Williams' The Bloody Tenent of Persecution, for Cause of Conscience from The University of Toronto via The Wayback Machine or from Google Books.
• For pre-United States America, the Flushing Remonstrance is a look into the early development of the idea of religious liberty.
• Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
• Consolidation of Constitution Acts, 1867 to 1982
• French version prepared under section 55 of the Constitution Act, 1982
• Judgments of the Supreme Court of Canada [this database includes all the judgments of the Supreme Court of Canada from 1907 to the present day and some from the period between 1907 and 1867.]
• Canada Election Act
• Copyright Act (Canada)
The United Kingdom
• Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England
• Alternate site for Blackstone's commentaries.
• Magna Carta
• United Kingdom House of Lords Decision 1838-2009 (until July 2009 the House of Lords was the highest court of appeal in the United Kingdom. After 2009 the United Kingdom Supreme Court became the highest court of appeal.)
• Decisions of the United Kingdom Supreme Court
• The Official Home of the Revised Enacted UK Legislation 1267-present
• Charter of the United Nations; June 26, 1945
• Declaration of the Rights of Man - 1789
• Manifesto of the Communist Party
• Constitution of Ireland
• Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
• European Convention on Human Rights
• European Court of Human Rights: Summary of Case Law (Note: There's an error on that page: all the links to case law documents have backslashes (\) where they should have forward slashes (/). So you'll need to open the link, then edit it in the address bar to download the actual document.)
• Constitution of Australia
• Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany (English translation)
Do you have any suggestions for further links? If you think of a document that should be included in the list but don't know of a good link someone else in the community may be able to find one.
--Co-authored by the Slacktiverse Community
The Slacktiverse is a community blog. Content reflects the individual opinions of the contributors. We welcome disagreement in the comment threads, and invite anyone who wishes to present an alternative interpretation of a situation to write and submit a post.